Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Free Thrashers & Hawks Tickets for Reading

Field Trips with Sue, who blogs about inexpensive trips with kids in and around Atlanta, recently posted a blog entry about a summer reading program where kids can earn free Thrashers and Hawks tickets for reading. Click the link for her blog entry with details on how to register for this program - http://fieldtripswithsue.blogspot.com/2009/06/free-thrashers-and-hawks-tickets-for.html

In her blog, Sue mentions that reading programs like this really motivate her boys. I have had the same experience with my kids. I've used the local library reading programs motivate the kids. The library program rewards kids for every 5 hours they read. Reading time is logged in 20 minute increments. They love to fill in the boxes for each 20 minutes they read. It makes encouraging them to read easier. When they're bored, and I suggest they read a book, it's not just mom "nagging" them to read. I only have to mention the extra box they will get to fill in for reading and they rush to pick out a book from our reading pile .

I will definitely be signing my kids up for this program as well.

No comments: